Sunday, January 7, 2007

Christmas in France - The Valley


I was lucky enough to get away for Christmas to my Dad's place in France, and I can tell you after four months of getting up at three o'clock in the morning I really needed it!
I hesitate to say that it was in "Provence" as it brings up all the cliches of 'A year in Provence' by Peter Mayle. But the fact is that we were right near at the place where the book is set - LaCoste.
My Dad is selling up in the spring, as he just can't get down there enough to justify it, and so we had to have one last Christmas to remember it. The house is right under the ruined castle of the infamous Marquis de Sade and has this incredible view across the valley to another village called Bonnieux. It is a view I've seen many times over the years and I never get tired of it. It is like a living renaissanse painting. I'm posting a picture here but it could never do it justice as there is no sense of the depth of space across the valley to the Luberon mountains - (Click on the picture to see it larger).

No comments: